I just found out about the new Ever After High line soon to be released this summer. Ever After High, unlike Monster High, has a set story (probably fitting with a storybook theme).
Are you a Royal or a Rebel? Ever After High takes place in a world where fairy tales are real (unlike Monster High, who isn’t from an alternate universe). The Royals are the fairy tale people like Cinderella, Snow White, and Prince Charming, who will all get “happy ever after” endings. At this school, they prepare to be just like their parents, and keep the fairy tale stories going. However, there is one condition, everyone must accept their role in the story, otherwise all the characters supposedly “disappear”.
The main royal character is Apple White, Snow White’s daughter, who is in line to be the next Snow White. She is popular, pretty, perfect, and well…shallow. She wants everything to stay the same. Her best friend is Sleeping Beauty’s daughter.
The main rebel character is, of course, Raven Queen, future Evil Queen from Snow White’s story. Raven doesn’t want to take that path and become evil. She wants to be able to decide her own destiny. This is a threat to Ever After High, and the current Headmaster Milton Grimm, is against this rebellious attitude. His brother, Giles Grimm, on the other hand, who appears to be locked in the school basement, also feels the same as Raven. Thus Raven is called the Rebel. Her best friend is the Madd Hatter’s daughter…
What do I think of the franchise?
1) I love the story. Unlike Monster High, the webisodes are more than just a bunch of weird teenagers obviously directed to a generic tween market, and has an engaging story line. These webisodes actually seem like a television show, and I’m more interested in them than Monster High’s. The opening song is better too. Maybe not as catchy as Monster High’s, but certainly the singer is better. Monster High’s singer was talent-less.
2) It’s also more appealing to parents and religious folks. Parents who found the buying and selling of ghouls and ghosts a little too much for their kids, or found it offensive, will enjoy this new line because it is wholesome, and isn’t suggestive. People who are against superstitious and gothic encouragement in children will love that this line can appeal to everyone.
3) The artwork is prettier than MH.
4) The Eco punk style is appealing to me.
1) The dolls are boring. They lack the detail that Monster High has simply because of one simple fact: most of them are human. Monster High’s dolls were much more interesting. These remind me of a Liv doll, very sup-par to a Bratz doll, and even a winx doll.
2) Some of the main characters aren’t positive role-models. I find Apple White to be snobbish, vain, into herself, so unlike Snow White, and undeserving of her fate. I mean Cleo de nile was too, but she supports the lead girl Frankie, who is a good person. I find myself, and many others do too, leaning more to Raven. The promotional question is almost pointless to ask: Most people are Rebels. I can’t see the other main girl being that popular…then again, she wears pink and has blonde hair…
3) Which brings me to my next point. This line is too girly. I feel a return to Barbie with this line. Mattel always manages to throw Barbie in the mix…Especially with all the fairy tale, imaginary stuff…Monster High was even more appealing to males and adult audiences because it wasn’t like that. Males and adults in general aren’t very interested in fairy tales. Monster High has a wider appeal.
4) Race and Ethnicity becomes an issue because they are human. Monster High were Monsters, so race wasn’t a factor. When race comes into the picture, blondes sell, and the others don’t. That’s the reality.
5)In MH, the school was more engaging, and the characters were more interesting. They could do more interesting things with the characters. The Fairy tale theme limits the characters to their stories.
6) Some of the story in Ever After High doesn’t even make sense. For instance, if Apple White is Snow White in the future, that means Raven Queen is going to be her Step Mother. Wouldn’t that make Raven Queen older? Or if not, shouldn’t she marry Apple White’s father first before she becomes evil? And shouldn’t SHE have the magic mirror, not Apple White? Plot hole alert! And if Pinocchio’s daughter is starting over as him…shouldn’t she be made of wood?
7) MH had better promotion. They had journals, a music video, and even a boy band reference. They promoted being yourself and standing up to bullies, and loving yourself the way you are. Ever After High does promote being yourself…vs not? Some of the characters are so shallow, it’s annoying.
So of course, we can’t expect it to be just like Monster High, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the next replacement. While they may be running out of ideas for MH, EAH isn’t striking enough to dominate MH. I can see them being equal. I think this line is meant to match up with the Disney Princesses, Tinkerbell, and Winx doll lines.
C.A. Cupid is moving from the Monster High line to the Ever After High line. Her whole look has changed. She looks more human. Cupid announced the transfer from MH in 2012. I personally don’t like the new look, but she’s pretty…in artwork form. The dolls stink in my opinion.